The Catholic University of America

Graduate Student
Circulation Privileges Statement

  arrowWho is a graduate student?
arrowWhat is the graduate loan period?
arrowHow do I borrow books?
arrowHow do I renew books?
arrowWhat are recalls and searches?
arrowWhat are reserves?
arrowHow do I borrow videos?
arrowWhat is WRLC?
arrowWhat is the Consortium Loan Service (CLS)?
arrowWhat is interlibrary loan (ILL)?
arrowWhat are summer privileges?
arrowMay I borrow a laptop?
arrowHow much are overdue fines?
arrowWhat is a lost item?
arrowWhat is a block?
arrowWhat is a diploma hold?
arrowWhat is a courtesy hold?
arrowDo I need an ID to enter Mullen and the campus libraries?
arrowAre bags checked when exiting?
arrowWhat are my responsibilities?
arrowIf I have other questions...


Who is a graduate student? Any individual currently registered for classes in a master's, doctoral, or postdoctoral level program at The Catholic University of America (CUA). This category includes students enrolled at the Columbus School of Law and doctoral students registered for dissertation guidance.
What is the graduate loan period? One semester for CUA items and six weeks for WRLC items. Graduate students may borrow up to 750 regular circulating items from CUA.
How do I borrow books? Register by presenting your Cardinal Card (CUA ID) at the Circulation desk in Mullen Library. After you register you may borrow books from Mullen, the campus libraries, and the WRLC libraries. You must present your Cardinal Card at the circulation desk to borrow circulating items.
How do I renew books? Through My Library Account or in person. Most items may be renewed three times. Recalled items may not be renewed.
What are recalls and searches? A recall is a request to use an item borrowed by another patron. A search is a request for library staff to locate an item not on the shelf. For more information see Recalls and Search Requests.
What are reserves? High-demand items that professors ask be made available for student use. Books are placed on reserve in Mullen and the campus libraries. Most reserve articles are available electronically through Blackboard. For more information see Course Reserve.
How do I borrow videos?

You may borrow DVDs and/or VHS tapes from Mullen Library for overnight use. These items are available behind the circulation desk. In order to borrow a video, you will first need to look up the title in the catalog to see if CUA owns a copy. Make sure that it is listed as "Available" in the catalog, then bring the call number to the circulation desk staff. You will be allowed to check the item out overnight. You may check out up to 3 videos at a time.

CUA Students are only allowed to borrow videos from the CUA libraries (and only those not marked as non-circulating).

What is WRLC? The Washington Research Library Consortium, a group of eight university libraries from which you may borrow in person or through the Consortium Loan Service. See WRLC Borrowing Policies for details.
What is the Consortium Loan Service (CLS)? A service that allows you to request items online from the other WRLC libraries. Books are delivered to Mullen Library and articles are sent through the Web. For instructions see Consortium Loan Service.
What is interlibrary loan (ILL)? A service through which CUA students and faculty may obtain books, articles, and other materials not available in the CUA or WRLC libraries. For instructions see Interlibrary Loan (ILL) Service. (Note: CUA law students submit their ILL requests at the DuFour Law Library.)
What are summer privileges? When you register for summer or fall term you will receive summer privileges.
May I borrow a laptop? Yes, you may borrow a laptop at the Circulation desk in Mullen for use in Mullen Library. For more information see Wireless Network in Mullen Library.
How much are overdue fines? $.25 per day per overdue item. There is a $0.60 per hour fine for all overdue laptops, power adapters, wireless cards, and floppy disk drives. The maximum fine per item is $10.00. Fines apply to items borrowed from CUA and the WRLC libraries. Fines also are assessed for overdue interlibrary loan items.
What is a lost item? An item that has been overdue for 39 days. Please see Lost Book Policy for the lost book fee. The lost item fee for laptops is the current market value of the laptop.
What is a block? A hold on your record that prevents you from borrowing. Blocks are placed when you have five or more overdue items, one overdue recalled item, or owe $25.00 or more in fines. Blocks apply to items borrowed from CUA and the WRLC libraries.
What is a diploma hold? A hold due to outstanding fines or overdue items that prevents you from receiving your diploma. Be sure to return all library materials and pay all library fines before graduation day.
What is a courtesy hold? Temporary shelving of an item at the Mullen Circulation desk for pickup at a later time. Any circulating stacks book brought to the Circulation desk will be held for a period of three days. Journals cannot be placed on hold.
Do I need an ID to enter Mullen and the campus libraries? Yes, you need your Cardinal Card. If you do not have your Cardinal Card you must show a photo ID and sign the guest book.
Are bags checked when exiting? Yes, for the security of the collections Mullen Library reserves the right to check all bags as you exit the building.
What are my responsibilities? You are responsible for books, laptops, and all other items charged to your library account. Fines are assessed for overdue items and replacement fees are charged for lost items, including laptops.
If I have other questions... Call 202-319-5060, fill out the Contact Form, or stop by the Circulation desk in Mullen Library.

Go to top Return to Top of This Page

Search the University Libraries' website