|Before submitting a request
Submitting a request
- This service is for CUA faculty, students and staff only.
- Columbus School of Law students submit interlibrary loan requests at the DuFour Law Library (http://www.law.edu/library).
- Patrons from outside CUA should request material through the Interlibrary Loan service at their school, business, or local public library.
- Other libraries should request material through OCLC, or contact the Interlibrary Loan Office directly (202-319-5063).
- Please check the WRLC Libraries Catalog to see if the material you need is available in the Washington Research Libraries Consortium. If it is, you will receive the material faster by ordering it through the Consortium Loan Service. Request Consortium loan service by clicking on the yellow "Request through Consortium Loan Services" link on the right side of the item record. Items owned by CUA Libraries may not be requested from outside the Consortium, unless they have been declared missing or a search has been filed.
- Submit one form for each book or article requested. Please limit the number of requests to no more then three in one day.
To request an interlibrary loan, please go to
Complete the request form fully. Requests may be returned to you if information is omitted. Please note, you can access this request form thru My Library Account too. If you have problems to login, please call 202-319-5063 or complete the Contact Form. Please include your CUA ID number.
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specific conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement.
This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
The Interlibrary Loan Office at the Mullen Library circulation desk provides interlibrary loan and document delivery services for the CUA library system. Materials may be picked up anytime the circulation desk is open. More information about CUA circulation policies is available on the CUA Libraries site or by calling Access Services at (202) 319-5060.
Fee: A few libraries do charge for lending materials and we will cover up to $30 for those items. In the rare chance that the lender does charge over the covered fee, you will be notified by email from CUA's ILL staff.
Number of requests: Limit the number of requests submitted. No more than three requests will be processed at one time.
Processing time: Requests take an average of one week to complete, but may take longer. We will contact you when the item arrives or if we are unable to obtain it.
Loan period: Loan periods are set by the lending library. Loan periods typically range from two to four weeks from the date the Interlibrary Loan Office receives the material.
Fines: Return items on time. Failure to return an item by its due date may result in fines or temporary suspension of library privileges. Fines and penalties for overdue and overdue recalled interlibrary loan items are the same as fines and penalties for normal circulation items.
Renewal: Renewals are an exception. Request a renewal by bringing the item to the Interlibrary Loan Office, by sending an email to email@example.com, or by calling 202-319-5063 before the due date. Renewals are made once at the discretion of the lending library. A tentative due date is assigned until the renewal is approved.