|Basic Operating Instructions
Shutting Down the Laptop
Available Software and Hardware
Note: The laptops are only available to current CUA students, faculty, and staff with valid, updated borrowing privileges.
To turn on the computer, push the Power Button, a circle at the middle above the keyboard.
Use the grey touchpad below the keyboard for mouse control.
The battery should be fully charged when it is checked out to you. This means you should have approximately three (3) hours of battery power.
If you think you will need the computer for a longer period, or if the battery indicator symbol (found in the lower right corner of the screen) tells you that the machine is running out of energy, please use a power cord and plug in the laptop. If a power cord wasn't given to you when you checked out the laptop, please go back to the Circulation Desk on the first floor and ask for one.
You will receive a warning when the battery is at 10% power; you should immediately save your work. The computer will shut itself down when the battery is drained to 3%.
You have two options for saving documents on this laptop:
- First of all, you may save your work to a USB drive. The slots are located on the back or side of the computer facing you. (Don't forget to take your USB drive out of the laptop before you return it to the Circulation Desk!)
- You may also save a document temporarily on the laptop. Note: items saved on the laptop will be deleted when you shut down the laptop. If you want to keep permanently a document you have saved on the laptop, attach it to an e-mail message and send it to yourself, save it to a USB drive or transfer it to your MyFiles space at http://home.cua.edu. A link to MyFiles is located on the desktop.
Please remember to shut down the laptop before returning it by doing the following:
- Click on Start in the lower left corner.
- Choose Shut Down.
All Windows laptops at Mullen Library are equipped with the following software and hardware.
- Windows 2000
Internet Browsers and Plug-ins:
- Mozilla Firefox
- Microsoft Internet Explorer
- Adobe Reader
- Adobe Flash Player
- Windows Media Player
- Ebrary Reader
- Microsoft Office: Word, Access, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- DVD/CD-ROM player
- Netword Card
- Wireless Network Card
The laptops are configurated to enable you to print from the laser printers on the First Floor (at the Information Desk, and MERIC Lab), in the Second Floor Hallway, or in the Religious Studies/Philosophy Library (Room 314 and Room 316).